This week’s new Dustinland comic is obviously a parody. I guess the premise is, what if some shady character cooked up a fake comic convention that used a bunch of bootleg hero rips offs to swindle people out of their money. But really it’s just an excuse to do a comic book version of Tim and Eric’s “Sports.”
I had a lot more of these but only so much time for drawing. I think my favorites are Fingerblast, No-Eye Joe and Silly String.
Not the most uplifting Dustinland comic this week, but I really do feel like the country is doomed. I guess the Democrats did pick up a few seats in some recent elections, so maybe those are a few spots of brightness, but it’s hard to feel positive. I am a bit of a pessimist of course, so there’s that, but still, things are bad. For example, as I say in the comic, Trump is getting flack from his base for having the gall to make a deal with the other party. That’s where we’re at right now. The right has made an uninformed monster out of its base, and there’s no steering them back to sanity. Decades of Fox News started it, and Trump seems to have finished it. I mean, sure, the left has uninformed echo chambers too, but what we’re seeing on the right is something special.
Bad times ahead, that’s what I’m seeing. I hope to be proved wrong. I really do. In fact, I’d love it.
This week’s comic is about how there are 50 days until Halloween, and yet every supermarket is already full of PUMPKIN EVERYTHING and OCTOBERFEST. The only thing they don’t seem to have out yet is apple cider, and that’s the one thing I actually want right now. And apple cider donuts. Hot ones.
I mean, some pumpkin stuff is delicious. Shipyard nailed pumpkin beer. Pumpkin pie — delicious. But 1. it’s too early. And 2. the sheer amount of pumpkin flavored items is overkill at this point.
Anyway, I actually had more ideas for this comic but not enough time to draw them all:
- Self driving pumpkin — not there yet but in 2019 they’ll be released.
- Hurricane pumpkin (too soon) — leaves pumpkin scented devastation in its wake.
- Napumpkinalene — detox from opioids through the magic of pumpkins. Chemically it does nothing for you, but what goes better with cold turkey than pumpkin?
- Pumpkin wall — illegal immigrants can stay in this country if they help build a wall made of pumpkins to keep everyone else out.
- Octoberfist (this one is R-rated) — a girl in a German waitress costume fists you while you bite down on a pumpkin